Registered Nurse – Cath Lab
Cath Lab Minimum Requirements
- Current Registered Nurse Licensure
- Current basic life support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life support (ACLS) certifications
- Minimum 2+ years Cath Lab experience is required; experience with IABP, intra procedure, Swan Ganz catheters and Impella experience is required
- ICU or ED experience is preferred
- Current knowledge of ECG monitoring
- Clinically proficient in Cath Lab procedures demonstrating a knowledge of the developmental needs of the adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients
- Current Physical
- Current PPD/TB
- Current Flu Vaccination
Start Dates Available: December 3, 2018
Length of Assignment(s): 13 Weeks
Shift(s): 40 Hour Weekdays (Combination of 8’s, 10’s and 12’s) with call requirements on off-shifts and weekends; On Call Requirement: one night per week and one weekend a month; Holiday requirements: On call, one major holiday
Dept. Details: # of beds: 12; Average Patient Ratio: 1:1; 3 procedure rooms; pre, intra and post procedure care
Cath Lab Registered Nurses provide direct and individualized nursing care to patients based on the application of scientific nursing principles. Cath Lab Registered Nurses are responsible for the care of the patient pre, intra, and post procedure. In addition to general nursing care, responsibilities of Cath Lab Nurses include (but are not limited to):
- Participate in activities to plan, measure, assess, and improve the quality of patient care.
- Prepare patients for their upcoming procedure to include helping doctors perform assessments prior to procedures and conducting some assessments on your own, taking measurements of blood pressure, body temperature, and oxygen saturation levels, making sure patient specimens such as blood and urine are collected, and starting intravenous (IV) lines for the administration of medications and fluids.
- Provide reassurance and insight into what to expect of a procedure and recovery; answer any questions that a patient may have and attempt to ease any fears or concerns regarding the procedure; educate both the patient and concerned family members; relay patient concerns and questions to the physician.
- Assist patients with completing required consent forms for each procedure as necessary.
- Administer medications in a timely manner according to drug protocols per physicians orders; monitor and titrate special drugs as needed.
- Monitor vital signs (heart rate, blood pressure, and oxygen saturation level) during a procedure and report any significant changes to the operating doctor.
- Carefully monitor electrocardiogram waveforms as they may indicate problems for which actions must be taken to ensure patient safety.
- Assist treating physician during examination, treatment, and procedures which can involve life-saving situations; work alongside doctors performing catheterizations.
- Utilize analytical skills to provide efficient patient care to manage critical situations in a timely, safe manner; perform emergency procedures in addition to making routine observations and monitoring each patient's symptoms and progress.
- Is knowledgeable about emergency drugs and is able to function in a Code Blue situation.
- Inform doctors of unexpected pain, increasing pain, low oxygen levels or blood pressure, unexpected pallor, or infection at surgery or testing site.
- Keep a close eye on the patient for indications of side effects such as excessive bleeding, vomiting or infection.
- Record all care information concisely, accurately, and completely, in a timely manner, in the appropriate format, and on the appropriate forms.
- Competently operate monitoring system and pertinent equipment for all procedures performed in the Cath Lab.
- Comply with protocols, procedures, and safety policies of a healthcare facility.
- Registration and current RN licensure in good standing required.
- Minimum 2+ years of Previous Cath Lab experience is preferred.
- Current basic life support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life support (ACLS) certifications required.
- Knowledge of medications, general health conditions, their impact on the perioperative course, and anesthetic considerations.
- Ability to provide culturally competent care with a strong focus on patient service; follow physician orders; properly document medical information.
- Basic computer proficiency inclusive of ability to access, enter, and interpret computerized data/information.
- Effective interpersonal skills to facilitate communication with various members of the healthcare team, patients, and families.
- Organizational skills to set priorities and efficiently complete assigned work.
- Multilingual skills (beyond that of English) in languages appropriate to the patient populations served by the medical center preferred.
- Critical thinking skills, decisive judgement, and the ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment; analytical ability to solve clinical nursing issues.
- Ability to effectively delegate appropriate patient care activities.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills appropriate to the patient populations served.
- Physical ability to meet the core job responsibilities in accordance with practice setting demands for the patient populations regularly served.
- Ability to effectively manage stress due to critical issues related to patient care, the changing organizational climate, and personnel issues.
- Must adhere to HIPAA guidelines and maintain confidentiality regarding patient and Agency proprietary information.
VALiNTRY Health Unique Characteristics:
VALiNTRY Health is a servant-leadership managed, healthcare organization, with collective experience placing over 10,000 clinical professionals in more than 40 states. We manage our business with a servant-leadership philosophy by ensuring that everything we do in our organization first supports and enriches our patients, clinicians, and clients; which ultimately enhances the lives of every individual we serve and work with every day. This philosophy not only transcends the best patient care advocates but helps VALiNTRY Health accomplish the highest standards of teamwork, commitment, and excellence in service.
- VALiNTRY Health is a Values-based company; we live by our values – Trust & Integrity, People Service, Teamwork, Innovation, Accountability, and Transparency.
- VALiNTRY Health only uses a Single Point of Contact so that you are not pushed from person to person and get lost in a sea of people!
- VALiNTRY Health has 100% online easy, hiring process – can be completed in less than 60 minutes.
- VALiNTRY Health is a National company.
- VALiNTRY Health provides comprehensive benefits.
- Weekly Pay Cycle – Direct Deposit.
- Travel Housing Stipends / Meal Stipends.
- We are AWESOME to work with and make ourselves available to you on your schedule!