Registered Nurse – Labor and Delivery RN
Labor & Delivery Minimum Requirements:
- Current Registered Nurse Licensure
- 2 or more years of current experience in L&D nursing.
- Candidates must have direct L&D patient care experience as an RN; CNM experience will not be considered.
- Must include copies (front and back) of current BLS and NRP card. All lessons have to be completed on NRP and must not expire during proposed assignment.
- Evidence of completing Intermediate or Advanced Fetal Monitoring course, preferably AWHONN.
- Dysrhythmia/Telemetry interpretation Course required 1 week before start date. Will take the Telemetry exam during the Traveler Orientation class and must pass with a grade of 90% or more.
- Current Physical
- Current PPD/TB
- Current Flu Vaccination
Start Dates Available: November 5, 2018
Length of Assignment(s): 13 weeks
Shift(s): 36hr Days/Nights, every other weekend & every other Holiday
L/D Nurses provide direct and individualized nursing care to patients based on the application of scientific nursing principles. L/D Nurses will assist with all areas related to labor and delivery, newborn nursery, and postpartum. Labor and Delivery Nurses (L/D Nurses), also called perinatal nurses, provide care and support for women before, during, and after delivery of the baby. They are responsible for making sure that the medical, as well as the emotional needs of the patient are adequately met throughout the entire birthing process. In addition to general nursing care, responsibilities of L/D Nurses include (but are not limited to):
- Responsible for the care of patients while in labor and at delivery, including cesarean delivery.
- Sit with and monitor the patient throughout (before/during/after) the labor.
- Monitor contractions and help the patient with breathing techniques.
- Perform basic IV and central line skills.
- Perform phlebotomy skills.
- Knowledge of hemodynamics.
- Administer pain medication as ordered; administer other meds to address specific medical conditions, such as hypertension and diabetes.
- Take and record the patient's vital signs and ascertain if problematic.
- Read fetal monitor and ascertain if there is a problem with the baby's heart rate.
- Identify and manage life-sustaining physiological functions in unstable patients.
- Check the patient's cervix periodically to monitor progression/lack of dilation.
- Ensure thepatient's bed is kept dry and clean; clean up bodily fluids expelled before and after the birthing process.
- Contact anesthesia when/if the patient is ready for an epidural; contact delivering physician at the appropriate time; ascertain proper time.
- Care for patients on Pitocin, MgSO4, and continuous lumbar epidural.
- Ensure the patient is in the proper position for delivery and all monitoring equipment is functioning properly.
- Aid doctor with drapes, gloves, gowns, etc.; hand doctor delivery instruments as needed during the birthing process.
- Encourage the patient to push at the proper time(s).
- Record time of birth.
- Immediate care of newborn (clean, weigh, etc.).
- Perform newborn assessments; give Apgar scores; perform and record newborn hearing screens.
- Assist with the care of post-partum patients and newborns; care for unstable infants as needed.
- Record all care information concisely, accurately, and completely, in a timely manner, in the appropriate format, and on the appropriate forms.
- Initiate patient education plan, as prescribed by physician; teach patients and significant others how to care for the immediate needs of the infant.
- Keep family informed of progression of birth.
- Comply with protocols, procedure,s and safety policies of a healthcare facility.
- Registration and current RN licensure in good standing required.
- Minimum 2 or more years of current experience in Labor and Delivery.
- Current basic life support (BLS) and pediatric advanced life support (PALS) certifications required.
- Knowledge of medications, general health conditions, their impact on the perioperative course, and anesthetic considerations.
- Ability to provide culturally competent care with a strong focus on patient service; follow physician orders; properly document medical information.
- Basic computer proficiency inclusive of ability to access, enter, and interpret computerized data/information.
- Effective interpersonal skills to facilitate communication with various members of the healthcare team, patients, and families.
- Organizational skills to set priorities and efficiently complete assigned work.
- Multilingual skills (beyond that of English) in languages appropriate to the patient populations served by the medical center preferred.
- Analytical ability to solve clinical nursing issues and conduct quality improvement research utilization projects.
- Ability to effectively delegate appropriate patient care activities.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills appropriate to the patient populations served.
- Physical ability to meet the core job responsibilities in accordance with practice setting demands for the patient populations regularly served.
- Ability to effectively manage stress due to critical issues related to patient care, changing organizational climate, and personnel issues.
- Must adhere to HIPAA guidelines and maintain confidentiality regarding patient and Agency proprietary information.
VALiNTRY Health Unique Characteristics:
VALiNTRY Health is a servant-leadership managed, healthcare organization, with collective experience placing over 10,000 clinical professionals in more than 40 states. We manage our business with a servant-leadership philosophy by ensuring that everything we do in our organization first supports and enriches our patients, clinicians, and clients; which ultimately enhances the lives of every individual we serve and work with every day. This philosophy not only transcends the best patient care advocates but helps VALiNTRY Health accomplish the highest standards of teamwork, commitment, and excellence in service.
- VALiNTRY Health is a Values-based company; we live by our values – Trust & Integrity, People Service, Teamwork, Innovation, Accountability, and Transparency.
- VALiNTRY Health only uses a Single Point of Contact so that you are not pushed from person to person and get lost in a sea of people!
- VALiNTRY Health has 100% online easy, hiring process – can be completed in less than 60 minutes.
- VALiNTRY Health is a National company.
- VALiNTRY Health provides comprehensive benefits.
- Weekly Pay Cycle – Direct Deposit.
- Travel Housing Stipends / Meal Stipends.
- We are AWESOME to work with and make ourselves available to you on your schedule!