Registered Nurse – Med-Surge RN
Med-Surge Minimum Requirements:
- Current Registered Nurse Licensure
- Minimum 1 year of acute care/Med Surge experience; experience with auto med dispensing system is required
- Must be able to independently read and interpret telemetry rhythm strips
- 2 years med-surge nursing and EPIC experience is preferred
- Must include copies (front and back) of current BLS; ACLS certification preferred
- Current Physical
- Current PPD/TB
- Current Flu Vaccination
Start Dates Available: December 3, 2018
Length of Assignment(s): 13 weeks
Shift(s): 36hr Days/Nights; every other weekend and every other holiday
Dept. Details: Average patient ratio 4-6 to 1
Med-Surge Nurses provide direct and individualized nursing care to patients based on the application of scientific nursing principles. Med-Surge Nurses provide care for primarily adult patients before and after surgical procedures; they also attend to those who are being treated with pharmaceuticals to manage illness. Due to the broad range of medical conditions, Med-Surge Nurses will encounter, they must be well-versed in a large variety of health conditions. In addition to general nursing care, responsibilities of Med-Surge Nurses include (but) are not limited to):
- Conduct initial and ongoing individualized patient assessments, prioritizing the data collection based on the patient’s immediate condition or needs within the timeframe specified by the facility’s policies, procedures or protocols; identify progress and trends that require intervention.
- Consult and coordinate with healthcare team members to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate patient care plans responsible for noting symptoms, health concerns, health improvements, as well as family concerns.
- Provide age and culturally appropriate care to patients.
- Prepare, administer, (orally, subcutaneously, through an IV) and record prescribed medications; report adverse reactions to medications or treatments in accordance with the policy regarding the administration of medications by a licensed registered nurse.
- Educate patients on surgical procedures.
- Record patients’ medical information and vital signs; initiate corrective action whenever the patient displays adverse symptomatology.
- Monitor and adjust specialized equipment used on patients and interpret and record electronic displays.
- Provide bedside care for a wide variety of medical patients, including pre- and post-surgery patients.
- Initiate patient education plan as prescribed by a physician; teach patients and significant others how to manage their illness/injury by explaining post-treatment home care needs.
- Change dressings; insert catheters; start IVs.
- Prepare equipment and aid physicians during examination and treatment of the patient.
- Utilize analytical skills to provide efficient patient care to manage critical situations in a timely, safe manner; respond to life-saving situations and perform emergency procedures based upon nursing standards and protocol in addition to making routine observations and monitoring each patient's symptoms and progress.
- Integrate discharge planning into the patient’s daily care.
- Record all care information concisely, accurately, and completely, in a timely manner, in the appropriate format, and on the appropriate forms.
- Comply with protocols, procedures, and safety policies of a healthcare facility.
- Registration and current RN licensure in good standing required.
- Minimum 1 year of acute care/Med-Surge experience; experience with auto med dispensing system is required; must be able to independently read and interpret telemetry rhythm strips.
- 2 years med-surge nursing and EPIC experience is preferred
- Current basic life support (BLS) certification required.
- Knowledge of medications, general health conditions, their impact on the perioperative course, and anesthetic considerations.
- Ability to provide culturally competent care with a strong focus on patient service; follow physician orders; properly document medical information.
- Basic computer proficiency inclusive of ability to access, enter, and interpret computerized data/information.
- Effective interpersonal skills to facilitate communication with various members of the healthcare team, patients, and families.
- Organizational skills to set priorities and efficiently complete assigned work.
- Multilingual skills (beyond that of English) in languages appropriate to the patient populations served by the medical center preferred.
- Analytical ability to solve clinical nursing issues and conduct quality improvement research utilization projects.
- Ability to effectively delegate appropriate patient care activities.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills appropriate to the patient populations served.
- Physical ability to meet the core job responsibilities in accordance with practice setting demands for the patient populations regularly served.
- Ability to effectively manage stress due to critical issues related to patient care, the changing organizational climate, and personnel issues.
- Must adhere to HIPAA guidelines and maintain confidentiality regarding patient and Agency proprietary information.
VALiNTRY Health Unique Characteristics:
VALiNTRY Health is a servant-leadership managed, healthcare organization, with collective experience placing over 10,000 clinical professionals in more than 40 states. We manage our business with a servant-leadership philosophy by ensuring that everything we do in our organization first supports and enriches our patients, clinicians, and clients; which ultimately enhances the lives of every individual we serve and work with every day. This philosophy not only transcends the best patient care advocates but helps VALiNTRY Health accomplish the highest standards of teamwork, commitment, and excellence in service.
- VALiNTRY Health is a Values-based company; we live by our values – Trust & Integrity, People Service, Teamwork, Innovation, Accountability, and Transparency.
- VALiNTRY Health only uses a Single Point of Contact so that you are not pushed from person to person and get lost in a sea of people!
- VALiNTRY Health has 100% online easy, hiring process – can be completed in less than 60 minutes.
- VALiNTRY Health is a National company.
- VALiNTRY Health provides comprehensive benefits.
- Weekly Pay Cycle – Direct Deposit.
- Travel Housing Stipends / Meal Stipends.
- We are AWESOME to work with and make ourselves available to you on your schedule!