Registered Nurse, MICU
RN MICU Minimum Requirements:
- Current Registered Nurse Licensure
- 2 or more years of recent MICU/ICU experience, vents
- Preferred experience to include CRRT, Flolan PA lines
- CCRN (Critical Care Resource Nurse) preferred
- Must be flexible and willing to float when needed
- Current BLS and ACLS certification issued by the American Heart Association
- Current Physical
- Current PPD/TB
- Current Flu Vaccination
Start Dates Available: December 3, 2018
Length of Assignment(s): 13 weeks
Shift(s): 36hr Days/Nights, every other weekend and every other Holiday
Dept Details: Medical ICU; # of beds: 12
Average Patient Ratio: 1:2
MICU Nurses provide direct and individualized nursing care to patients based on the application of scientific nursing principles. Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU) Nurses care for patients who may experience acute exacerbation of chronic health problems (COPD, CHF, ESRD, etc.) mixed along with acute illnesses (Pneumonia, DKA, Sepsis, ARDS, etc.). The MICU Nurse provides intensive around-the-clock care, including both medical and basic daily care activities. In addition to basic nursing care, responsibilities of MICU Nurses include (but are not limited to):
- Take report on the patient and check all infusions with the outgoing nurse; perform a complete assessment of the patient and document neuro obs, ausculating lung, heart and abdo sounds, skin integrity, peripheral pulses, etc.
- Provide round-the-clock Nursing care for critically ill patients with conditions that require close supervision and monitoring; monitor the progress of patients under their care; assess patients for pain.
- Provide age and culturally appropriate care to patients.
- Consult and coordinate with healthcare team members to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate patient care plans; responsible for noting symptoms, health concerns, health improvements, as well as family concerns.
- Monitor and provide nutritional assessment and specialized feedings.
- Change and/or reposition wound dressings as required; suction as required; insert catheters; start IVs; perform and interpret ECGs as required.
- Provide arterial and intravenous therapy.
- Check, monitor, and adjust specialized equipment used on patients, such as nitric oxide tank, ventilator settings, zero all pressure transducers, IABP/VAD, chest/wound drains, IDC, etc.
- Calculate medication doses and titrate potent medications; administer and record prescribed medications; report adverse reactions to medications or treatments.
- Monitor vital signs and initiate corrective action whenever the patient displays adverse symptomatology; communicate the patient’s condition tothe interdisciplinary care team.
- Assist treating physician during examination, treatment, and procedures which can include life-saving situations.
- Utilize analytical skills to provide efficient patient care to manage critical situations in a timely, safe manner; perform emergency procedures in addition to making routine observations and monitoring each patient's symptoms and progress.
- Organize and transport patient if tests such as CT scans are required; rezero all equipment.
- Provide basic, beside care.
- Instruct, educate, and communicate with the patient’s family in a compassionate manner to provide information about treatments, medical options, and precautions; provide education and support to family members faced with critical decisions such as discontinuing life support and deciding how to care for people with brain injuries; assist with meeting the educational, physical, psychological, and spiritual needs of the family according to professional practice standards and institutional policies and procedures.
- Participate in discharge planning.
- Record all care information concisely, accurately, and completely, in a timely manner, in the appropriate forma,t and on the appropriate forms.
- Comply with protocols, procedures, and safety policies of a healtcare facility.
- Registration and current RN licensure in good standing required.
- Minimum 2 or more yearsof recent MICU/ICU experience.
- Requires current basic life support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life support (ACLS) certifications.
- Knowledge of medications and general health conditions.
- Ability to provide culturally competent care with a strong focus on patient service; follow physician orders; properly document medical information.
- Basic computer proficiency inclusive of ability to access, enter, and interpret computerized data/information.
- Effective interpersonal skills to facilitate communication with various members of the healthcare team, patients, and families.
- Organizational skills to set priorities and efficiently complete assigned work.
- Multilingual skills (beyond that of English) in languages appropriate to the patient populations served by the medical center preferred.
- Analytical ability to solve clinical nursing issues and conduct quality improvement research utilization projects.
- Ability to effectively delegate appropriate patient care activities.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills appropriate to the patient populations served.
- Physical ability to meet the core job responsibilities in accordance with practice setting demands for the patient populations regularly served.
- Ability to effectively manage stress due to critical issues related to patient care, the changing organizational climate, and personnel issues.
- Must adhere to HIPAA guidelines and maintain confidentiality regarding patient and Agency proprietary information.
VALiNTRY Health Unique Characteristics:
VALiNTRY Health is a servant-leadership managed, healthcare organization, with collective experience placing over 10,000 clinical professionals in more than 40 states. We manage our business with a servant-leadership philosophy by ensuring that everything we do in our organization first supports and enriches our patients, clinicians, and clients; which ultimately enhances the lives of every individual we serve and work with every day. This philosophy not only transcends the best patient care advocates but helps VALiNTRY Health accomplish the highest standards of teamwork, commitment, and excellence in service.
- VALiNTRY Health is a Values-based company; we live by our values – Trust & Integrity, People Service, Teamwork, Innovation, Accountability, and Transparency.
- VALiNTRY Health only uses a Single Point of Contact so that you are not pushed from person to person and get lost in a sea of people!
- VALiNTRY Health has 100% online easy, hiring process – can be completed in less than 60 minutes.
- VALiNTRY Health is a National company.
- VALiNTRY Health provides comprehensive benefits.
- Weekly Pay Cycle – Direct Deposit.
- Travel Housing Stipends / Meal Stipends.
- We are AWESOME to work with and make ourselves available to you on your schedule!