Registered Nurse – Operating Room, RN
Operating Room Minimum Requirements
- Current Registered Nurse Licensure
- 2 or more years Neuro, Big general surgery, oral, maxillofacial surgery, gyn experience
- Cardiothoracic, Robot, Sports Medicine experience is preferred
- Positive attitude is a must
- Must include copies (front and back) of current BLS and be surgical tech certified (National).
- Current Physical
- Current PPD/TB
- Current Flu Vaccination
Start Dates Available: December 3, 2018
Length of Assignment(s): 13 weeks
Shift(s): 40hr Days/Nights rotation; combination of 8’s, 10’s, and 12’s.
Dept. Details: Case Types include Neuro, Vascular, Robots, Head/Neck, GYN. No Pedi cases. This OR operates Monday thru Friday only and handles mostly inpatient cases.
OR Nurses provide direct and individualized nursing care to patients based on the application of scientific nursing principles. OR Registered Nurses are accountable for clinical, educational, quality, and fiscal patient care outcomes using the model of care designed by the nursing department and in accordance with established agency policies, procedures, protocols, guidelines, and standards of practice. OR Nurses provide care and support to patients before, during, and after surgery. OR Nurses also assist the surgeon and the surgical team in their tasks. In addition to general nursing care, responsibilities of OR Nurses include (but are not limited to):
- Consult and coordinate with healthcare team members to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate patient care plans.
- During the surgical procedure, OR Nurses can take the role of:
- Circulating Nurse, with the following additional duties that include assisting in positioning, responding to the comfort/safety of patients; providing for accurate care and handling of specimens; observing and enforcing strict standards of asepsis; observing, checking, and monitoring all equipment used during surgery to confirm things are running smoothly; handling patient documentation; preparing inventories of all items both pre- and post-surgery.
- Scrub Nurse, with the following additional duties that include selecting and handling instruments and supplies used for the operation and passing them to surgeon; preparing inventories for all items both pre- and post-surgery.
- Nurses First Assist with the following additional duties to include delivering direct surgical care by assisting physicians; helping to control bleeding; providing wound exposure; suturing patients after the surgery.
- Conduct pre- and post-operative education.
- Answer patient needs by assisting the physician and person responsible for anesthesia care.
- Serve as the communication liaison to the family and members of the operating team.
- Take and monitor patients’ vital signs.
- Ensure the surgeon is operating on the correct patient and that the correct procedure is being performed.
- Provide basic, bedside care.
- Prepare, administer, (orally, subcutaneously, through an IV) and record prescribed medications; report adverse reactions to medications or treatments in accordance with the policy regarding the administration of medications by a licensed registered nurse.
- Respond to life-saving situations based upon nursing standards and protocol.
- Record all care information concisely, accurately, and completely, in a timely manner, in the appropriate format, and on the appropriate forms.
- Prep operating room for the patient/procedure.
- Initiate corrective action whenever information from monitoring equipment shows adverse symptomatology.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide appropriate care for patients of various age groups.
- Monitor patients’ physical and emotional well-being throughout the care continuum.
- Initiate patient education plan, as prescribed by physician; teach patients and significant others how to manage their post-treatment home care needs, self-administration of medication, and rehabilitation.
- Comply with protocols, procedures, and safety policies of a healthcare facility.
- Registration and current RN licensure in good standing required.
- Minimum 2+ years of OR experience.
- Current basic life support (BLS) certification required.
- Knowledge of medications, general health conditions, their impact on the perioperative course, and anesthetic considerations.
- Ability to provide culturally competent care with a strong focus on patient service; follow physician orders; properly document medical information.
- Basic computer proficiency inclusive of ability to access, enter, and interpret computerized data/information.
- Effective interpersonal skills to facilitate communication with various members of the healthcare team, patients, and families.
- Organizational skills to set priorities and efficiently complete assigned work.
- Multilingual skills (beyond that of English) in languages appropriate to the patient populations served by the medical center preferred.
- Analytical ability to solve clinical nursing issues and conduct quality improvement research utilization projects.
- Ability to effectively delegate appropriate patient care activities.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills appropriate to the patient populations served.
- Physical ability to meet the core job responsibilities in accordance with practice setting demands for the patient populations regularly served.
- Ability to effectively manage stress due to critical issues related to patient care, the changing organizational climate, and personnel issues.
- Must adhere to HIPAA guidelines and maintain confidentiality regarding patient and Agency proprietary information.
VALiNTRY Health Unique Characteristics:
VALiNTRY Health is a servant-leadership managed, healthcare organization, with collective experience placing over 10,000 clinical professionals in more than 40 states. We manage our business with a servant-leadership philosophy by ensuring that everything we do in our organization first supports and enriches our patients, clinicians, and clients; which ultimately enhances the lives of every individual we serve and work with every day. This philosophy not only transcends the best patient care advocates but helps VALiNTRY Health accomplish the highest standards of teamwork, commitment, and excellence in service.
- VALiNTRY Health is a Values-based company; we live by our values – Trust & Integrity, People Service, Teamwork, Innovation, Accountability, and Transparency.
- VALiNTRY Health only uses a Single Point of Contact so that you are not pushed from person to person and get lost in a sea of people!
- VALiNTRY Health has 100% online easy, hiring process – can be completed in less than 60 minutes.
- VALiNTRY Health is a National company.
- VALiNTRY Health provides comprehensive benefits.
- Weekly Pay Cycle – Direct Deposit.
- Travel Housing Stipends / Meal Stipends.
- We are AWESOME to work with and make ourselves available to you on your schedule!